Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chitchat: Jagapathi Babu


Jagapathi Babu looks fitter than ever now. Praise comes for his looks not just from girls but also from established filmmakers. Probably that is the reason why he accepted to play the role of a student as well as a lecturer in Madan directed Pravarkyudu as he knows he can carry off a P.G. student role so easily with his current looks. He speaks at length about Pravarkyudu and Gaayam 2 and much more in this chitchat..


Tell us about Pravarkyudu..

Basically it is a love story about a couple who fall in love when they are students and separate from each other and 10 years later they meet again. 10 years later, she turns out to be a college principal and he joins the same college as lecturer. The conflict here is a girl (Priyamani) searching for emotional basis in relationship and boy (me) seeking physical pleasure.


Looks like a bold concept!

Yes, indeed, it is bold concept as director Madan has also dealt with the issues of sexual games. Girls always mature fast than boys. They know emotional bonding is important than mere sexual attraction but boys look for the latter first. It takes time for them to realize. These theme is undercurrent but on outset, Pravarkyudu, is good romantic drama with lots of fun, entertainment and good songs.


Any link with Pravarkyudu, the character created by Allasani Peddana?

No, but Pravarkyudu in this film attracts women and at the same time, he is also honest in his love towards Priyamani in the true spirit of the original Pravarkyudu. It is also true that I had my own apprehensions about the title initially as I was skeptical about its acceptance with mass audiences. On my birthday, Madan made a request to say yes to the title and give him it as birthday gift. So I could not say not that on that day. Now, the title has been accepted by everyone.


You seem to share sizzling chemistry with Priyamani?

We are good friends. We have love and hate relationship between us. I like to be very natural on screen and she is also natural actress. So it reflects when we act together and seems very natural when romance on screen. Regarding Priyamani appearing in sexy outfits in couple of songs, I would say I insisted director Madan to do that way. We ourselves took liberty and did sensual number in the film as it attracts the audiences and also helps the movie.


This is said to be biggest budgeted movie in your career!

True that Pravarkyudu was shot on lavish scale and made with much bigger budget than my normal films. Because all of us - director Madan, Producer Ganesh Indukuri, music director Keeravani, and cameraman - wanted to make this as a visual feast. Everything in the film looks grandeur and beautiful. That is why today, it is sold like hotcake. If we put in our heart, the product really comes out and if we believe in our film, automatically it attracts the buyers. See what happened to Mahatma! It did biggest business in Srikanth’s career. Pravarkyudu is huge film in my career both in terms of budget and also the business that it did. I hope it also brings huge profits.


Are you happy with the producers?

Tolly2Holly is going to be bigger banner than they are known. They are sensible people and know everything about the industry. They didn’t step into filmmaking as just novices. Tolly2Holly is reputed distribution company in USA and they distributed my movie Pellaina Kotthalo. So they approached Madan and Me, to do the same magic. They are going to be happy too with this flick.


What differences did you notice in Madan - from Pellaina Kottalo to Pravarkyudu?

He has always been matured. His strength is writing and knows perfectly about his ideas. He has made this film much more treatment oriented with good aesthetic values.


You are playing as a college student in one episode in the movie. Then how did you achieve younger looks?

Right from the beginning, Madan told me to look me younger and so I worked on it. I confidently say now that I don’t look awkward in student role in the film. Best compliment that I got for my looks is from master director RGV. He smsed me that I am looking fantastic in Pravarkyudu. He is not a filmmaker who just compliments anyone and he doesn’t give his opinion just to please others.


What is secret of your fitness?

I am happy and content with life. It reflects in your face.


Can you name 5 films that turned your career?

1. Peddarikam

2. Gayam

3. Shuba Lagnam

4. Anthapuram

5. (Hopefully) Pravarkyudu


You have just announced sequel to Gayam. Can you tell us about it?

Yes, sequel to Gayam is finally taking place. Tomorrow (Dec 2nd) we are starting it with pooja formally. Ram Gopal Varma’s former associate Praveen is directing. It is the first sequel in Telugu in truest sense. I mean, the movie really starts off with the 15 years of where Gayam ended. 15 years later, the protagonist Durga is coming back. Revathy has accepted to play the same role. We brought Kota Srinivas Rao’s role alive in the sequel. I yet to speak with Urmila, though.


Why RGV is not directing Gayam 2?

Praveen developed this idea and script when RGV heard it he said it sounds superb and asked me to go ahead with his shishya. “I don’t want snatch his baby,” he said. But RGV came forward to help me and the director about this film whenever we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment