Thursday, November 26, 2009

Akshay: I can never direct


He’s the toast of Bollywood. His mere name in a film keeps the cash registrars ringing for days together.

He has the lethal combo of hot sizzling looks, hard work and a superb comic timing. And if you thought Akshay is someone who only had the best comic timing in films, then think again.

Call him Akki or Rajeev Bhatia as his wife Twinkle Khanna calls him, he’s style personified. Dressed in a black shirt and black sun-glasses, he made an impressive entry to promote his latest flick De Dana Dan in Ahmedabad with his co-stars Suniel Shetty and Sameera Reddy.

Katrina Kaif is again his co-star in this film and they are the much talked about lucky ‘on-screen couple’. “Who is lucky? I am not a jyotish. I don’t check people’s rashi before working with them. I can’t say who will be lucky for me?”, he laughs.

Quiz him about his favourite co-star and he thinks and says with a smile, “Shanti Priya (his first co-star).” And you think he must be joking. But with a serious look on his face, he says, “No, I am really serious.”
Ask him about doing another comedy and he says, “Comedy works well with people. In Gujarat, all my comedy films do extremely well. I don’t want to stop something that works well. I am glad I can entertain and make people laugh.”

Who’s that special person he turns to for feedback? He says “My sister,” and then adds, “My son Aarav.”
And what keeps him so grounded? “Everybody likes ground nuts. Actually, I keep my feet down and walk,” he says with a big laugh.

Talking about his latest film, he says “It is a real fast paced comedy. One can’t even sms in the middle as he might miss the link. Suniel and me share a good chemistry on and off screen.”

Akshay is someone who has been in the industry for quite some years and he feels today things are very different from yesteryears. “The industry has changed completely and so has the audience. People are today ready to experiment and appreciate new scripts. The technology, budget of the films and my remuneration has also changed with time,” he says it with a twinkle in his eyes. He adds, “Horror films satisfy me as an actor.” Akshay who has acted and produced films feels, “I don’t think I can ever direct a film.” Today Akshay’s platter is full with a number of films like Action Replay, House Full, Helloo India and Tees Maar Khan. Ask him about his visit to Ahmedabad and he says, “I am happy to come here. The hospitality and the food here is great. People are warm,” he says on a parting note.

No comments:

Post a Comment